Analytics module in Freshservice allows you to generate intuitive reports for your service desk.
This article will walk you through the basics of the Analytics module and how easy it is to create and customize reports.
Before going into the Analytics module, it is important to know a few terms that we’re going to use throughout the article.
Analytics Home - Analytics home will contain all the reports created by you or other users.
Widget - A Widget is an analytic chart that displays data in a particular visual format (pie chart, bar graph, etc.)
Report - A report is more of a dashboard that houses a wide range of widgets. Say for example you can create a report for “Ticket overview” and add all ticket related widgets into it. This report will give you a complete view of what is happening with your tickets.
To access analytics, hover the mouse pointer on the Reports icon on the left sidebar and click on Analytics.
Please note: This feature can be accessed only by those who have "view analytics" permission that can be found under Admin -> Roles -> Reports. Also, please note that global scope will be applied for this permission.
Creating a Report
Adding Widgets to a Report
To create a report,
Head to Reports > Analytics and click on New Report from the top right corner.
Provide a name for your report. For example, if you’re planning to create a report that has widgets related to problems, you can provide the name “Problem Report”. This will also help other users when they’re looking for reports.
- Choose whether you want the report for yourself or you wish to share it with everyone who has access to the service desk.
Once done, click Create.
You’ll be taken to the next screen where you will be shown the list of available widgets to choose from. Here, you can look for widgets using the following ways:
- Search bar - You can use the search bar to find widgets (that are autogenerated by the system based on the available parameters) that you’re looking for. Once you find the widget of your choice, you can drag and place it on to your report.
- Filters - When you click on Add Widgets, you can filter widgets based on modules. Choose the module of your choice, say Tickets or Changes, drag the widget of your choice and place it on your report. You can rearrange widgets as per your requirement.
- After adding the widgets, your report will be ready. You can access it from Analytics home.
Editing a Widget
On a high level, every widget would be a visual representation of your service desk data. But, if you want to go deep and look at the data or make changes to the widget, you will have to click on the widget.
Changing the chart type
If you wish to change the chart type,
- Click on the widget for which you wish to change the chart type.
- Once you’re taken to the next page, you can see the different chart types on the top right corner.
- Choose from the following chart types: bar, stacked bar, tabular, and pie.
- Once you click on the chart of your choice, the widget will display the information in that chart type.
Filtering Data from a Widget
Similar to reports, you can also filter data within a widget. Within a widget, you can filter data using the parameters like Date and Time, Properties, and Associations.
You can also group them by Date/Time, Properties, and Associations
Note: You can only use upto a maximum of 2 attributes for grouping.
Drill down data
You can further drill down into a widget to get more information.
Let’s take an example where you have a widget that displays tickets by impact and you wish to see the status of the tickets that have a low impact.
In order to drill down further into the widget,
- Click on the area in the chart that displays low impact tickets.
- Select the Group by dropdown and click on Properties.
- Choose status as the parameter and click Apply.
Viewing Tabular data
To view and customize the data that make the widget,
- Go to a report and click on the widget for which you wish to see the data.
- Click on the Tabular data dropdown on the left bottom corner (below the chart) and you will see the data in the form of a table.
You can rearrange & resize columns of the table using drag and drop actions. You can also include more columns by clicking on the gear icon present on the top right corner of the table.
Once done, you can save the changes in the same widget or as a new widget, in the same/different report.
Saving your Widget
Once you make changes to a report, you can either save those changes to the same widget, or save them as a different widget.
To save the report, click on the Save/Save As button on the top right corner of the page.
If you click the Save As option, you will be prompted to enter the name for the widget, and also choose the name of the report to which you wish to add the widget.
You can schedule reports and widgets to be sent to you or other stakeholders in the company at periodic intervals.
To schedule a report,
- Click on Reports from the left sidebar and click on Analytics.
- Under the Analytics dashboard, click on the report you wish to schedule.
- Once you’re in the report, click on the Schedule button present on the top right corner.
- A pop-up window will appear on the screen.
- Choose the interval in which you wish to receive the report and enter the time during when you wish to see the report in your email inbox.
- Enter the email addresses of those to whom you wish to share the report.
- Provide the subject line and email content for the report.
- Once done, click on Update.
Filtering data from Reports
You can filter data from a report by clicking on the funnel icon present on the top right corner of a report.
If widgets in a report belong to a same module, then all the filters related to that module will be displayed.
If report has widgets belonging to multiple modules, only filters that are common across these modules will be displayed - for eg. department, group, agent, requester, etc.
You will get a range of additional options whenever you choose a parameter. Once you choose the parameters of your choice the data in the report will be filtered accordingly and displayed to you.
If you wish to remove the filter, click on the funnel icon and click on the (-) icon present to the left of the filter you wish to remove.
You can convert your reports as a presentation with the help of the Presentation Mode. To access the presentation mode, head to the report of your choice and click on the monitor icon present on the top right corner.
You can click on the Exit icon to come out of the full screen mode.
The following actions allow you to effectively manage all your reports.
Edit - The edit icon allows you to edit the name of the report. You can also change sharing preferences for a report.
Delete - You can delete an entire report (along with all the widgets) using the delete option.
Clone - If you wish to clone an existing report, you can use this option. You can make the necessary modifications to the cloned report and save it as a new report.
Under Analytics Home, you can switch between different views to see your reports. The views that are available are:
- All Reports
- My Reports
- Shared Reports
- Curated Reports
When you choose Schedules, you can view all the reports that you’ve scheduled along with details like the frequency, status, and recipients.