When a major incident that causes a significant disruption to the business is reported, it calls for prompt attention and a quick resolution.
More often than not, such situations see your service desk receive an endless trail of tickets either for the same issue, or a more superficial issue resulting from it.
Since the original ticket is a bigger priority for the business, you can add all the other ones as child tickets. You can then tackle the parent ticket while keeping the child ticket updated as you progress.
How to add child tickets to the incident
1. From the ticket's detailed view, click on Child Tickets. It displays a list of similar incidents based on the subject line.
2. Click on the '+' icon next to the tickets to add them to the parent ticket. You can use the search field to access the ones that are not listed.
3. If you need to add a new ticket as a child ticket here, you can simply click on New Child. It opens the 'new ticket' form and even lets you fill in the details from the parent tickets, in case most of the data is the same. Edit the rest of the fields and click Save.
4. All the child tickets will be added in the left pane shown in the first image. You can remove tickets from this list by clicking on the corresponding '-' sign.
The parent ticket gets linked to all the other ones to help agents distinguish them as child tickets.
Now, every time you reply on the parent ticket, you can have the response posted on all the child tickets (as a public note) by selecting the checkbox next to Add public note to child tickets.
How to perform actions on associated child tickets
- Navigate to Admin -> Workflow Automator -> New Automator -> Ticket.
- Drag and drop the event node and select when the Incident is Updated from the drop-down and click Done.
- Next, drag and drop the condition node and select when the Status is Resolved and click Done.
- Finally, drag and drop the action node and select Associated Child Tickets from Perform these actions.
- Add a Set Status as Resolved and click the "+" to add another action as Add Note.
- For the description in the note, select the Ticket URL from the placeholders and mention as "Ticket URL is resolved" and click Done and click Activate.