The Freshservice Discovery Agent can be installed on all your Windows, Mac and Linux machines. The discovery agent then collects the machine’s hardware and software information and updates Freshservice regularly without needing further intervention from the respective user(s). Besides making the discovery of your assets extremely easy, it helps you keep track of your assets better in the long run.
The Discovery Agents use two update logics to send information to Freshservice:
- Dynamic Discovery: Every time the Agent detects a change in its host machine, including changes to Hardware or Install/Uninstall of Softwares, it will update the data to Freshservice. This makes sure that the database stays the best possible representation of your assets at all times
Periodic Discovery: The Discovery Agent updates Freshservice on a weekly basis to maintain an up to date record of all your assets. This is done regardless of whether changes were made to the asset or not.
Downloading the Discovery Agent
The Discovery Agent for Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems can be downloaded directly from your Freshservice Portal.
- Navigate to Admin -> Discovery
- In the Agent tab, choose the required Operating system
- Click on Download Agent
Installing Discovery Agent
There are multiple ways in which the Discovery Agent can be deployed for each operating system.
Install on a single machine
To install on all machines in a domain, use Group Policy Object
To install on all machines in a workgroup, use the PsExec tool
- To install on a single / multiple machines follow this solution article
- To install it on a Linux machine run the script using the command: >sudo python FS-Linux-Agent.py
Supported Operating Systems
Windows 2008 R2
Windows 2012 R2
OS X Yosemite (10.10)
OS X El Capitan (version 10.11)
macOS Sierra (version 10.12)
Windows: Microsoft .NET 4.6
Linux: Python 2.7
Support for the following OS versions/flavors deprecated as of September 21, 2017
Support for the following OS versions/flavors deprecated as of August 01, 2017
MAC: OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) and OS X Mavericks (10.9)