In most help desks, problems that are getting reported for the first time have possible workarounds or solutions already. The technician who has been assigned the problem could simply look up a solution article from the knowledge base and close the issue without any hassles. However, a few problems require new changes to be initiated for the underlying issue to be fixed.
When the same problems have been reported enough times, chances are that a change has already been created and is well underway. Instead of creating an all new change, you could look through your pending changes list whenever you come across familiar problems or incidents. Additionally, you could also look out for problems that have been marked as a known issue and link them to existing changes properly.
A quick guide to linking problems to changes:
- Open up any problem from the Dashboard or the Problems tab.
- Click on the Change button on the navigation bar
- From the drop-down list, choose New Change or Existing Change
- If you think it’s possible to link the problem to an existing change, pick out any one from the list below and click Link.
- If not, click on New Change, type in the details and create a new one yourself.
- Once done, the name should appear on the sidebar.
Here's a demo video to help you understand Problem Management in Freshservice.
Every time a technician links a problem to a change, he must be aware of which changes are likely to cause and fix problems. This is essential and is likely to prove useful when he or she is trying to address a problem that cannot be fixed or worked around.