Organizations at large run through multiple requests and approval processes day in and day out. Whether employees are requesting a marketing software, a new laptop or the standard password reset, IT teams are at the forefront of handling these tasks. This creates a need to capture information across various forms to adequately fulfill employee requests and maintain necessary records.
It is often a tiresome task to add data from scratch while creating forms and maintain multiple copies of the same. Adding a lookup field to a service item form in Freshservice can help create forms which precisely document different field types (locations, assets, reviewers or approvers) by referencing existing data within your service desk. This also assists in making authorizations simple and fast and reduces the wasted time and lags during the request process thereby improving and optimizing service request workflows.
Creating a Lookup field will populate appropriate field properties and create relevant hierarchical relationships when your end-users fill their forms. They can use the dropdowns to navigate through data and pick from different options you’ve configured for them.
Values that can be looked up while creating the form:
- Location: Services required by employees while traveling across different countries for trade shows, translation support, and global offices can be documented.
- Requesters: Services that require notifying and setting up approvals for managers who also belong to Requester Groups. You can add conditions to requesters such as Department, Location, and Requester Group.
- Agents: Services that require peer reviews from agents within the same Agent Group. You can add conditions such as Location and Agent Group.
- Assets: Service requests about any upgrades, replacements, or refurbishment of assets based on conditions such as Department, Location, and Asset Type.
Note: You can add up to 10 Lookup Fields to a service item form.
To add a lookup field to a service item form:
- Navigate to your Admin > Service management > Service request management > Service catalog
- This will open a list of all the service items available within your service desk.
- Click on any existing service item listed.
Alternatively, if you’re creating a new service item;
- Click on the Add New button located at the top-right.
- Select Service Item from the dropdown.
- Click on the Custom Fields tab on the left pane. The page will automatically scroll down to the Custom Fields section.
- Clickto open a pop-up window of the Dropdown Field Properties.
- Alternatively, you can also drag and dropin the space provided.
- Enter a Field Name.
- Select the radio button next to Select from Data Source.
- Click on the Data Source dropdown.
- Select one of either Location, Requesters, Agents, or Assets.
- If you select Requesters you can add up to three conditions (Department, Location, and Requester Group)
- If you select Agents, you can add up to two conditions (Location and Agent Group)
- If you select Assets, you can add up to three conditions (Department, Location, and Asset Type)
- Click Done to add the Custom Field dropdown.
- Navigate to the top-right and click Save.
- Select Save & Publish to finalize your changes.
Note: Dynamic sections are not supported within Lookup fields.