Custom SSL certificate
Modified on: Tue, 3 Oct, 2023 at 3:07 PM
Freshservice offers a default wildcard SSL for all users who have a support portal on a freshservice.com domain. This can be used as long as you continue to use the default Freshservice URL you signed up with (for example, yourcompany.freshservice.com). However, the default SSL does not work when you have pointed a custom domain name to your help desk portal (for example, helpdesk.yourcompany.com).
In this case, you will have to configure a custom SSL certificate provided by Freshservice with your domain name. For this, you will need access to your domain control panel in order to add a DNS record to your custom domain. If you are on the Estate plan, you can request an SSL certificate from Freshservice without any additional charges.
Setting up custom SSL on your support portal:
- Login to your account as Administrator.
- Go to Admin > Account Settings > Service Desk Security.
If your account has more than one workspace, navigate to Admin > Global Settings > Account Settings > Service Desk Security.
- Under Secure Connection using SSL, click on the link that says Want to use Custom SSL for your support portal?.
- In the following dialog, enter the custom domain you have configured with your Freshservice account.
- Click on the Submit Request button to initiate your request.
- Check your inbox periodically for an email from our provider. Once you get it, please follow instructions on it to confirm your request for a SSL certificate.
- Once done, wait for a few days and check for an update on the Admin > Service Desk Security page. Once your certification is approved and done, you will see an ELB name for your domain mentioned on the page.
- Copy and paste the ELB name provided and create a DNS record with it in your domain control panel. If you do not know how to do this, please get in touch with your network administrator.
- Click on the Save button to set up your Custom SSL from Freshservice's end.
- Once your DNS change is propagated (can take anything between 24 to 72 hours), you should be able to see a lock icon on your address bar whenever you visit your support portal.
Note: The custom SSL certificate will only work as long as your support URL and the URL you mentioned while submitting a request are the same. In case you reconfigure your Freshservice to point to a different domain, your connection will no longer be secure.
Custom SSL is available as an Add-on in plans like Blossom and Garden. For the customers who are not in the Estate plan can raise a ticket to firstname.lastname@example.org with the required custom domain URL.
Did you find it helpful?
Can you please tell us how we can improve this article?