With the modern Gantt in new-gen project management, project managers can now visualize the overview of project tasks, sub-tasks, and their dependencies against a linear timescale.
Step 1: Open the “Projects” tab.
Step 2: Select the project which you want to plan.
Step 3: Gantt Chart is available at “Plan” tab under selected Project.
Step 4: Select “Gantt” view from the highlighted drop down shown in the image below.
How to use Gantt for project planning
Task Dependencies in Gantt
A project member can create dependencies among the project tasks using the Gantt Chart. You will get the option to perform these actions when you hover the mouse pointer over the project task of your choice.
Points to Remember:
- Currently, we support forward planning.
- Finish to Start (FS) task dependency, means task A has to complete before starting Task B
*For calculation of task completion, we consider task start and end date, not the task status.
- The dependent task’s start date cannot be equal or prior to the predecessor task.
- For any given dependency, no two tasks should have multiple dependencies (cyclic dependency) between them.
- The red dependency link color denotes, “Task dates overlap with the dates of the dependent tasks”.
In case you wanted to remove the dependency, hover over the link to remove the dependency.
Filter the Gantt
Customize the Gantt’s contents by filtering it based on assignee's, statuses, priorities, and other attributes.
Task Status in Gantt charts
Often, multiple teammates will work on different parts of a project at the same time. Color codes help you easily identify where you need to focus:
Date rollup is useful if you want parent tasks to always represent the total duration of all child tasks (sub tasks).
- Whenever child task dates are extended, it will automatically extend the dates of the parent.
- Parent task’s start date can be before the child task or same as that of the earliest child task
- Parent task’s end date can be after the last child task or even after that.
NOTE- Task dates can never be set outside the dates of the project
How to enable date rollup?
This feature can be toggled on or off inside every project from the project settings page.
To enable it,
- Go to the Settings page of a project > General settings
- Under Project Features section, enable Date rollup for Project Tasks
- Click Confirm on the alert message
- Click on Save to save the settings.
Important: If you already have tasks with dates before enabling the feature, when you enable the feature, the system will automatically expand the dates of the parent tasks to cover the entire duration of the child tasks.