By default, every ticket in Freshservice is in one of 4 statuses:
Open Tickets: They are tickets that immediately need the attention of your support agents. When a new ticket is created its status is always Open at first. And when a customer replies to any ticket, its status always moves back to open.
Resolved & Closed Tickets: When agents are reasonably sure that they have provided the customer with a solution to their problem, they can move the ticket's status to Resolved. The customer can then confirm the resolution and Close the ticket.
Pending Tickets: Sometimes, the agent might need additional information or might need some time to reproduce an issue and confirm the solution. In these times, they can set the status of the ticket as "Pending".
Understanding Custom Statuses
Often, you might want to bring in your specific help desk workflows into your ticket statuses. For example, a ticket might need specific inputs from your third party vendors. You might want to create a field called “Waiting for Customer Response”. You can create these additional ticket statuses by clicking on the “Ticket Status” field.
With custom statuses, you can even decide what should be displayed to the customers when they log in to the support portal to check the ticket status and what is seen by your agents. That means you can show the ticket status as “Waiting on Customer” for your agents, but when your customers login to your support portal, they can see the status as “Waiting for Your Response”.
Of course, you would not want to keep your timers running and risk an SLA violation when you are waiting for the customer to give you additional information to move forward with a ticket. You can choose to “freeze” the SLA timers based on each ticket field by turning the corresponding timer “Off”. All tickets with the SLA timer turned off will be visible right from the Dashboard view in your help desk under “On Hold”.
Quick guide to customizing your statuses:
- Login to Freshservice as an administrator.
- Go to Admin > Form Fields.
- Click on the Ticket Fields section to open it up.
- Scroll down on the ticket form until you see the Status field. Click on it.
- Under the Status Choices section, you can see the list of statuses in your helpdesk.
- You can add additional statuses by clicking on the little + icon at the bottom.
- Enter the requester and agent names for your status. You can choose different ones for both if you need to.
- Click on the Save button to save your Status field.