Several organizations use a dedicated BI tool to visualize project data and generate reports from multiple software tools that are used across an organizations. Viewing such consolidated project data on a single dashboard provides the management with a clear picture of what’s happening in major organizational projects.
In order for this to work, relevant data from multiple business tools need to be exported and pushed into BI tools or custom applications for generating project reports.
The Schedule Data Export feature in Project Management allows you to schedule the export of project data and feed it into your BI tool or any custom applications either through a downloadable file (received via email) or an API URL.
Scheduling an Export
In order to schedule a data export,
Log into your Freshservice account and click on Project Analytics from the left sidebar.
Click on Project Analytics --> Settings icon --> Data export.
Click on Create Export option to schedule a data export.
- Select the Module Name for which you wish to schedule the export. Project exports are available for Projects, Project Tasks & Project Time Entries modules.
- Choose the scheduling interval. It can be daily, weekly, or monthly. Choose the day & time of the export.
- Use the Basic filter option to filter the data you wish to export.
- You can choose the project fields that have to be exported.
- Choose the mode of receiving the export i.e with API URL or Email
- The API URL will hold the link to the export file. Feeding the API URL into your BI tool or custom application will allow it to automatically fetch data from Freshservice.
- Once done, click Schedule.
After scheduling the data export, you can view them all under Project Analytics -> Settings -> Data Exports.
The download icon next to each schedule will allow you to browse through the past data and download them if needed. This will be helpful when your BI tool, for some reason, fails to fetch data from the API URL on a particular day. Under such circumstances, you can manually download the data for that particular date and import it into your BI tool.
You can also delete any of the scheduled data exports if need be.
Additionally, in order to enable fast project data feeds into BI platforms or custom applications for native reporting, data exports will also be incremental in nature. Know more on Freshservice incremental data exports here.