Asset managers often need to update properties of a group of assets. Updating these assets one at a time can be tiresome, especially if there are more than a handful of assets to update. One or more properties of assets in Freshservice can be updated in bulk using the Bulk Update option.
This solution covers:
- The basics of updating assets in bulk
- Clearing field values in Bulk Update
- Properties that can be updated in Bulk Update
- Fields Available for Bulk Update
- Changing the Asset Type of multiple assets using Bulk Update
Bulk Update basics
Select the assets to be updated and click on Bulk Update
This will open a pop-up with all the fields that can be updated for the selected assets.
Once a value is selected for a field, the field will be marked by a mark. This indicates that the field will be updated upon clicking Update. In the below example, for all the 50 items selected the Location will be updated to US.
Clearing the values in fields
If the value in a particular field has to be cleared, only select the checkbox but do not select any value. In the below example, for all the items selected, the values in the Company fields will be cleared.
Properties that can be updated in bulk
The fields that are available for update in the Bulk Update pop-up are based on the view that is selected. For example, from the All Assets view (default), only the common fields such as Location, Department and Asset Type will be available for edit. This is shown below:
If the list of assets is filtered based on Asset type, then the fields relevant to the asset type is displayed. For example, if the list is filtered by Asset type, say Hardware, then the Hardware properties will also be available for update. This is shown below:
Fields available in Bulk Update
The following field types are available in Bulk Update. Any custom fields of the following types will also be available for update in bulk.
- Dropdown fields
- Nested fields
- Date fields
Changing the Asset Type in Bulk Update
The Asset Type of an asset can also be updated using Bulk Update. However, changing the Asset type of multiple assets may result in loss of information from some of the asset fields.
- Upon selecting a new asset type in the bulk update pop-up, you will get a confirmation that some field data may be lost.
- The bulk update form will then be reset and all the fields relevant to the new asset type selected will be displayed
- Some fields may be mandatory for the new asset type selected. For example, selecting Desktop asset type will make Product, Vendor and Asset State as mandatory fields. These fields will be selected by default and you cannot complete the bulk update without updating these values.
- If there are some common properties between the old and new asset type, these will be retained for each of the selected assets. For example, the used by, location, department ...etc will not be overwritten because the asset type has been modified.