Once you've started drafting and adding articles to your knowledge base, the next thing you want to do is to start restricting access to them selectively for different reasons and make them available to only a select group of people. For example, you could create a set of guides and solutions just for your agents and teach them best practices in your Service Desk. You could create department-specific documents and drafts within your Service Desk.
Freshservice lets you manage your solutions by editing the permission settings on the folders. By default, Knowledge Base articles are visible to everyone whenever you create a new folder, but can be modified using Visibility settings to handle several use cases.
To edit and manage Folders:
- Click on the Solutions icon  in the left pane to access your Knowledge Base.
- Hover to the left, click on the Category dropdown and select a Folder.
- Click the Edit icon  at the top-right. A pop-up window will appear from the right.
- You can edit the Name, Description, Category, Managed By, and Visibility of the Folders here.
- Click Save to finalize your changes.
- Managed By
You can also choose which Agent Groups can create, edit, and manage the solutions added to particular Folders in your Knowledge Base. Different Agent Groups can now manage solution articles within specific Folders that they have access to. To do this:
- Click the field box under Managed By.
- By default, the option All Groups would have been selected. You can choose to retain this or select other Agent Groups within your Service Desk.
- Enter the name of the Agent Group in the search field box.
- Select an Agent Group from the dropdown list that gets populated.
Note: You can search, select, and add other Agent Groups.
- Click Update to save changes.
Note: Only Agents who have permissions to create/edit a Category or Folder can add Agent Group(s) within a Folder. You can set up these options under Permissions and Scope for Agent Roles.
Choose from one of the following visibility options that will make the articles visible to:
- All - Everyone.
- Logged In Users - Users who have logged in to your service desk.
- Agents - All Agents in your service desk.
- Departments - Requesters who belong to a specific department.
- Agent Groups - Agents who belong to specific Agent Groups.
- Requester Groups - Requesters who belong to specific Requester Groups.