In most help desks, a ticket can be in one of four statuses: Open, Pending, Resolved or Closed. When a ticket requires any action from you or your agents, it is marked as “open”. That means every new ticket would be marked as Open by default. When your agents require additional information from the customer, they might mark the ticket as Pending, and when they are finally able to provide a solution, you might want to mark it as Resolved.
Any time a customer responds to a ticket, its status will automatically be moved back to Open. That way, all the tickets that your support team needs to get working will always be “Open”.
Once you have provided a solution to their ticket, the customer can Close the ticket from your support portal, or your agents can close the ticket for them.
What are custom ticket statuses?
Often, you might want to bring in your specific help desk workflows into your ticket statuses. For example, a ticket might need specific inputs from your third party vendors. You might want to create a field called “Waiting for Customer Response”. You can create these additional ticket statuses by clicking on the “Ticket Status” field.
With custom statuses, you can even decide what should be displayed to the customers when they log in to the support portal to check the ticket status and what is seen by your agents. That means you can show the ticket status as “Waiting on Customer” for your agents, but when your customers login to your support portal, they can see the status as “Waiting for Your Response”.
Quick guide to creating a custom ticket status in Freshservice:
- Login to your service desk as an administrator.
- Go to Admin > Field Templates.
- Click on the Status field to open up it's edit dialog.
- Hit the plus button at the bottom to add an empty textbox for a new ticket status.
- Type in a name for the status.
- Use the SLA timer toggle to decide if you want the SLA timers will be running for tickets which are set to this status.
- Click on the Save button to save the field.
- Press the Save button in the Field Templates page to finalize your changes.