A LinkedIn Live series with IT leaders. Save a seat for episode 1 with Colin McCarthy, VP of Global IT, Essense. Register Now

Start a new topic
Implemented

Microsoft Power BI intigration

a very useful way to allow users to meet their own reporting needs.

Zen Desk is doing this very successfully.

Curtis

50 people like this idea

I agree with Curtis and Maikel.  We need an analytic tool like Power BI that will allow us to manipulate and drill down on the data to enable IT to make smart business decisions. Data is critical in building a baseline, trends, and being able to predicate future events to proactively address business problems. The correct analytic tool can provide -

• Customer satisfaction metrics by department, employee, customers 

• Team performance metrics that highlight areas that are going well and areas for improvement 

• Analyze data to determine what teams are spending their time working on (service request, incidents, problems, and changes) - This will help answer questions on hiring needs and if there is a need to refocus the team to work on areas that need the most improvement 

• Dashboards that can be used to present to senior executives on the state of IT 

• Predication and trends at a glance 

• Performance metrics 

• Efficiency metrics 

• Agent metrics 

• Backlogs

This is just a few that I can think of.  Data is critical in building a baseline, trends, and being able to predicate future events to proactively address business problems.

7 people like this

Hi Everybody - I'm working with a PowerBI developer for a Freshservice connector. I will update you all once it is demoable.

7 people like this

Hi Venkat, 

Appreciated the communication but agree with the above posts.  This feature request is specifically about power bi integration.  We are asking for the ability to self serve.  I'm not sure what the hesitation is here as this feature makes your life easier.

Whilst I agree that your out of the box reporting needs work, it is a different use case to what people have requested on this thread.

Having a connector into fresh service data means I can create reports to show me what I want, not what you think I want.  Bare minimum a scheduled export of data to an azure data location etc would work.

Rob

6 people like this

Hello all,

Sorry for the delayed response. 

As pointed out above, any connector built on top of Freshservice APIs are limited by the data exposed by the underlying APIs. We believe that scheduling data exports is the more scalable approach to address advanced reporting needs and the solution that will solve for the many advanced/self-serve reporting use-cases with BI tools like Tableau/PowerBI etc. We have already prioritized this feature as part of our Q2 roadmap. 

In the meantime, we're currently working with a couple of developers to address the urgent need of more useful powerBI dashboards with pre-defined metrics on top of our existing APIs. This will be available on the Freshservice app marketplace. I've attached screenshots of this dashboard for your reference.

I'm also attaching mocks for our analytics solution that we're currently building into Freshservice. With Analytics in Freshservice,

- users can pin reports to a dashboard to effectively monitor service desk performance

- rich visualisations with interactive drill-downs

- reporting across all modules (tickets, tasks, problems, changes, release, groups, users, departments)

Thank you for all the inputs and please keep your feedback coming! We'll continue to update you here as we make progress on these items. 

Deepikaa

Freshservice Product Management 

5 people like this
Hi Venkat,

Once again, I find myself severely disappointed in FreshService's response.  You can build up your reporting module forever but, I promise, you won't be able to match the reporting capabilities of a true BI tool.  I'm not sure you all understand that this isn't just about reporting capability either. A dedicated BI tool provides a single page for management and employees to report on all IT metrics.  You will never be able to provide a single dashboard that contains everything management or employees want to see.  ITIL and ITSM tools with top notch reporting capability still provide Power BI connectors (ZenDesk & ServiceNow).

I've said it multiple times to multiple CAMs and I've said it in this thread.  If you gave us the ability to export all of our ticket data on a schedule, I wouldn't need a Power BI Connector...

I'm in complete agreement with Michael - "swing and a miss".  I don't think your response is what any of us were hoping or looking for. 

5 people like this

I'll add that this is disappointing and I will second the notion that being able to export my ticket data with some kind of schedule automatically would essentially solve this problem for me.

5 people like this

Viminya, I appreciate you replying again, but it's not encouraging to hear that several months after Rajiv said this would, and I quote, "ship very soon" - and three months after you said you were working with a developer, we now hear that you (the company):

• doesn't have the product integrated,
  • doesn't know how to do the integration, and
  • doesn't have a timeline.
You must understand that this is quickly becoming more than just a missing feature. The poor communication erodes confidence in your customer service, and the repeated failures to deliver anything at all erode confidence in the ability of the development team to ever substantially progress the product.

Working with a partner is all very well, but have you tried asking Microsoft for assistance? The reporting features of FreshService remain incredibly weak for a product so integral to many businesses. Building support for Power BI into FreshService would allow your developers to solve a key weakness by letting someone else do the heavy lifting. The same is true for building connectors to Planner, or Flow, or Teams - Microsoft want their products to be used, and I'm sure they'd love to help however they can.

Please, please do more than just say you will get back to us quickly. Say you will get back to us with an update every two weeks until there's a product - even if the update is 'nothing new to report' at least we're not left hanging, wondering if maybe ZenDesk is the product for us after all.

5 people like this

I completely agree it would be great to see PowerBI support.  O365 is now the largest used cloud solution in the world with many customers using PowerBI.  Providing PowerBI support will cover the BI requirements for many without additional investments and just as important not require another BI tool when the company has already standardized on PowerBI.

As stated Zendesk PowerBI is a good example, it works well.

4 people like this

If you want examples of our Power BI Dashboards and how Service Desk BI fits in I can show examples of what Zendesk looks like in a production setup with PowerBI reports, etc.

4 people like this

One of the features with Power BI that we can create own dashboards, by manipulating data feed from Fresh service.  As soon we have feed then its easy cerate look as required and publish for other departments in company.  Reports that are available now "locked" for FreshService admins/tech and need to be exported first, as PDF, then sent by email.  

If you give feed to Power BI, I can see live status, updates and share with company CEO/other executives, as weekly updates. And this can be combined with other metric in one dashboard which also available in mobile app. All that upper management need to do is open app at any time and see live status of various data/reports, rather then looking though email and opening attachments. 

Any reports created inside Fresh service will stay there, and cant be accessed by other people in company then pretty much useless for most who don't have Freshservice "admin" account.

I can be wrong, but think it shouldn't be much development to give some access to Freshservice data though one of the Power BI supported data formats (Odata, ODBC, various SQL). Only need build connector between PowerBI and Freshservice API. 

4 people like this

Sure, it's possible. The path of trial and error is riddled with existential and rectal hardship.

Authentication is the first step that might slow down right away. The API documentation: Authentication explains, that the API uses Basic Authentication. Now, if you're doing it through PBI's Get Data -> Web and are courageous enough to try to connect to the API without any credentials, it will explicitly ask for creds after pressing OK and then you're ready to go. Or, you could slap the credentials/API-key on the HTTP header, but I have no experience of that.

If your Fresh domain has a lot of tickets or other records, you'll find out soon that the API paginates the responses. Sure, with Power BI's M-language you can iterate the pages with multiple requests, but by the time you've learned to do so, you begin to question the choices you've made in terms of your career path, and purpose of life in general.

What if one needs to dynamically generate multiple API requests and define their parameters, based on the response of one request? Sure, it's possible. By the time you've learned to do it with M, you've probably mastered that scripting language and again you're wondering if your career path was really the correct one for you. Or if you approach the goblin-like developers in your office with this issue, they'll hiss violently at M and begin implementing their own RESTful web server with the language they choose, position it between PBI and Fresh's API, and tell you to poll that instead.

API is aimed for developers, while Power BI is for anyone who wants to create reports or dashboards, without having to depend on any IT staff or DB administrator. 

But to be honest, I'm not sure which would be better: that you guys provide an article about using the API with PBI, or to implement the integration. Because it's difficult to implement GUIs, user friendly dialogs or wizards for all the possible use cases, especially when things get more advanced. Perhaps an integration to perform all the small and simple functions, and courage the community to use the API for more advanced stuff and to write their own Wiki about it?

4 people like this

Power BI has mobile app, which is big plus, and its free for Office 365 users, will be good to have some sort of reporting capabilities there. Argo looks good on web, but not sure about pricing and no mobile app?

4 people like this

@Patrick: Re your first question about querying the number of pages, I haven't managed to figure out an elegant way to do this yet. The FreshService API (v2) doesn't appear to return a variable for the number of pages. But it does eventually indicate that there is 'no more pages' via the 'link header'. As I am still learning the Power BI 'm query' language, I have not managed to leverage this yet, however, it would need to be triggered in the middle of the run, rather than setting 'X' pages at the beginning of the run.

With respect to publishing a PBIX file, I have attached a template which should work once configured. Hopefully this doesn't lead to a bunch of people hammering the API servers, but I have included an allowance to limit the number of tickets retrieved. In practice, this only limits the number of pages requested, users will need to ensure they don't refresh too many times per hour, or try to retrieve too many tickets. Eg to retrieve 5000 tickets will be 50 pages @ 3 API credits per page = 150 credits. Thus an entry level plan (Sprout) can easily pull up to 30,000 tickets per hour assuming they aren't using the API elsewhere.

This is by no means a professionally developed file, but it suits my purposes and may work for others. It is provided 'as is', and I am not in a position to support it I'm afraid. That being said, if people improve it, please share it back! Just be sure to save as a template as this stops your data & credentials going with it.

Instructions for FreshService.pbit template file

1. Open the File and Enter url, DateFrom & MaxTickets to retrieve. Note if you try to retrieve more tickets than are available in your date range, you will get an error. Ensure your 'Max Tickets' is less than the number of tickets in your range. I suggest you start with the defaults for testing.
  2. After clicking Load, you will likely get a 'Refresh' Error. You will need to input your credentials. → Click 'Close', then click 'Refresh'.
  3. You will be prompted for credentials. Click 'Basic' then enter your login details for Freshservice.com (not SSO details if used) image
  4. You may need to play with filters etc to get tickets to show.
  5. You should also populate 'Agents' and 'Departments' tables in the Query Editor if you need these.
  6. You can also adjust the Papramaters (URL, DateFrom, MaxTickets) in the query editor.

pbit

4 people like this

@Viminya Doss

Is there a way we "officially" request this feature? Multiple users would love to have this implemented. 
As @Zwart, Brian said: "O365 is now the largest used cloud solution in the world with many customers using PowerBI."

Br, 
Maikel

3 people like this

This is why we're looking to move away from FreshService. After 2 years of asking for PowerBI integration and receiving multiple communications about how Fresh Service "has partners" or "is close" we see that FreshService is now focusing on building their own reporting tools. For those of us who have been practically begging for PowerBI, we see that we've been relegated to those customers who "still need" PowerBI integration and that FreshService is “considering the following options…”

Venkat, I’m sure you wanted to placate the barbarians at your gate who were looking for a positive and motivating communication from FreshService about PowerBI integration, but this is a swing and a miss…

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment