Start a new topic

Software Asset Management of the Future

Not long ago, procurement, roll-out, and management of software was completely owned by the IT teams. This enabled them to lay the foundations of Software Asset Management (SAM)  practice to track, manage and optimize software utilization and spend. One of the main objectives of SAM was to ensure that organizations remain compliant with the license terms they had negotiated with vendors.

Over the past few years, SaaS has exploded in popularity. In the current scenario, employees want enterprise applications to be well designed, easy to use and less clunky. This has led to a rapid adoption of SaaS to meet enterprise software needs.

For IT Teams, the rapid adoption of SaaS means

• Licensing is simplified since most SaaS vendors offer a “pay as you go” model

• Overhead on maintaining the applications is minimal as the SaaS vendors maintain and update all the applications by themselves. 

However, this shift to cloud and SaaS presents some new challenges.

• Traditional discovery methods do not work for SaaS. IT teams do not have any way to understand actual utilization of SaaS applications and optimize the available licenses and spend on the applications

• SaaS has led to decentralized purchasing decisions. Anyone in the organization can start using a SaaS product (paid or free). 

• Terminated employees sometimes retain access to applications as IT teams do not have the information needed to de-provision users from all applications. This results in wasted license spend and can also result in data security risks as a terminated employee might still have  access to sensitive data.

All these challenges are leading to a shift in the focus of Software Asset Management. SAM practice is becoming more relevant than ever. IT teams are now expected to manage the spend and utilization of SaaS applications, just like how they used to manage on-premise applications in the past.

Help us build the right solutions for you

As we gear up for this future (indeed, it’s already upon us!), we’d like you to help us build the right solution for our users. Please take a few mins to help us understand the challenges you face in managing SaaS applications by filling out this survey

6 people like this idea

Hi,

This is something I am currently looking at as part of the bigger on and off boarding process, I have been struggling to come up with a work around in Freshservice to do this and have spoken to many software suppliers who do this but has more functionality than we need ie single sign on and MFA, whats the timescales?

I'd also be happy to get on a call to talk through the use cases we have been trying to satisfy.

Thanks

Laurence

Hi Laurence, Let's set up a call. I'll reach out to you offline. 

Login or Signup to post a comment
JS Bin