Thank you Sysadmins! Show some love, join a contest, and win $100 USD, you deserve it all. Win $100 USD

Start a new topic
In Progress

Knowledge base enhancements

We understand that lack of self service adoption is one of the biggest pain points of IT teams. The backbone of self-service is availability of Knowledge base articles and accessibility to these articles. For the former problem, we want to enhance the content creation experience, so that IT teams can create more content, easily. We plan to enhance Knowledge base through the following: 

1. Better Editor - The current editor is, let's admit it, not the best out there. We want to create a better editor that makes it easier to write and format articles. 

2. Approvals - Now Managers can set ensure the format and review the content of the solution before it is published. Managers can set approver (one or many) at folder level, and all articles created inside that folder will have to be approved before it can be published. 

3. Review Date - In a lot of organizations, the processes change and tools evolve, and solutions team finds it hard to keep the articles updated. Now you can set Review Date for the articles, you will be reminded on that date to review the particular article.

4. Analytics - It's important to get feedback and understand which articles were helpful in resolving an issue. Now you can see the number of views for each article, along with the helpful and not helpful votes and number of times an article was inserted into a ticket by an agent. 

5. Better Access Controls - You can restrict agents to have view-only permission to the article and not have edit permissions to a particular article. This works best for cases where different functions within the organization are using Freshservice - HR is an agent and they can only view IT articles but can edit and create HR articles. 

Joe

39 people like this idea

Hi Peter

can you please fill out this form?

joe

Hi,

it would be nice to be able to manage "visibility" rights directly on procedures.

Currently the rights are made on the folders and we must manage our tree structure according to the rights that we want to set up.

Don't know if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but adding PowerShell as one of the selectable code languages would be great.

4 people like this

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but it would be great to mark certain articles as high importance so they always get featured more prominently on the user portal. We have some user induction guides that we try and push quite heavily and being able to advertise them better would help with this.

3 people like this

It would be really useful to be able to add CIs to solution articles so that if we have an issue with an CI item the solutions that are relevant to that item are visible,  is that on the roadmap?

2 people like this
Any chance that we could make KB articles sortable by name? I know we can't get sub folders, but I would like to be able to order all of the articles for a specific topic together (unless there's a better way for doing so that I'm missing?)

Could the difference between "tags" and the new "keywords" field on solutions articles be explained? According to existing documentation here and here, tags should already be functioning as keywords in search.

1 person likes this

There seems to have been further changes today that move the Edit, Delete, and View in Portal/Preview links around. You have now taken something that was one click away and turned it into two clicks by burying them in a completely unnecessary overflow menu. What is the purpose of these changes?

Additionally there has been no change to the documentation to account for the difference in tags vs keywords as I mentioned 21 days ago. Any response here?

Sorry that I'm posting for the 3rd time back to back, but this new workflow is very problematic and needs to be fixed or reverted immediately, and some acknowledgement from the Freshservice is sorely needed!

• As soon as you hit the (now hidden) edit button, it unpublishes the live article and puts it into draft mode -- this is NOT what we were asking for. We need a working draft functionality, where the live version of the article remains live while you simultaneously work on a new draft that can be saved separately from the live version of the article... Freshdesk has had this for over 3 years now. Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel when your own company has written the software that can do this?
  • Because it is unpublishing the articles while editing, this also makes it so that our articles are randomly disappearing from our requester's view, because we happen to be working on them. This is an internal helpdesk, and we work the same hours as the employees that rely on these articles -- we can't have them missing because we're making updates!
  • When you hit save on the draft, it reloads the page and you have to remember to hit a separate Publish button now. Because this changed without any warning, we have accidentally left multiple articles unpublished for multiple days in a row.

2 people like this

How is the review date supposed to notify us?  Right now we set a review date and nothing - there is no notification that I can see, nor is there a way to run any reports to see upcoming/past review dates.  Would also like to be able remove the columns that we don't want to see/and rearrange the columns to be in an order that would work for us.  Right now this new layout is more of a pain than the old...

1 person likes this

To go back to my issue about tags vs keywords: Your support team has confirmed to me that search now uses just the keywords field in addition to the subject line of an article. The kicker is that even though tags have been used for this purpose for years (and as I linked above, your documentation still says this), support is unable able to copy my existing tags to the keywords field. I have nearly 350 solutions articles, and I'm expected to manually re-keyword every single one of them.

Here's the exact response I received from support:

"[W]e currently do not have an option to automate the process of copying the tags and pasting the same in keywords field either by API or custom apps. You have to do this process manually.

​P.S., when we search for solutions, the first segment to be searched is the subject of the solution article and only then the keywords mentioned."

1 person likes this

Is the editor implemented by Freshdesk? It is much better (among other things Lightbox for images).

Is there already a date for the implementation?

Andrew- Thanks for the reminder about keywords.  It's time for us to go through ours now.

Since only keywords are used for search, what is the use of tags?  There isn't an option to filter or report on the articles, so they seem useless now.

Is there any chance that we can get the ability to add sub folders to KB articles? I want to be able to order them by products or lines of business, but since the only way the can be organized is to manually adjust the display, when you have over a hundred articles (and growing) it gets tedious at best.

3 people like this

Good day. When updating a solution, we find having two different buttons (Save and Publish) to be awkward, inefficient, and prone to error (leaving the article in draft). Contrast this with updating a service item; the pulldown menu is much more efficient, not requiring a second step to publish (which can often be overlooked). Functionality such as this should be consistent across the platform for a better experience.

Login or Signup to post a comment