21st July 2017 – Project Management in Freshservice

Switching between your project management solution and ITSM tool can be inconvenient and time-consuming. In order to address this, Freshservice has introduced project management feature integrated with the service desk. This enables IT teams to use a single tool to manage their projects in tandem with IT service management processes such as incidents, changes, and assets.

What does it mean?

Most IT projects involve intense planning and a considerable amount of risk. Project management feature in Freshservice will:

- Eliminate the need to juggle between a separate project management solution and your ITSM tool.

- Easily link projects to incident, changes, and assets bringing more visibility into how they are related.

- Ensure on-time delivery of projects by capacitating users to efficiently manage, prioritize and track projects.

- Facilitate seamless collaboration with different teams.

Refer to the solution article and video to know more about project management.

6 people like this

Hi Apoorva,

Our team loves this new feature but we do find it a bit frustrating that we need to enter a due date for every task. Would you consider making this an optional field?

Todd Murphy

4 people like this

As not all tasks on a project solely fall under the purview of our IT department, will it at all be possible to at least have the ability to assign tasks to non-agents or requesters?  

4 people like this

Any plan to incorporate projects in the FS calendar that displays tasks and changes? What about tying releases to a project?

Hey everyone, 

Thank you for your feedback. 

@Todd - We’re glad to hear that your team loves the project management module! Regarding the due dates for tasks, it will be helpful if you could share more information about the nature of projects that are implemented to help me understand why this field is not used.

@Craig - I agree, IT projects can have tasks that need to be delegated to members outside of the IT team (non-agents). To address this concern, we’re introducing a new user type called ‘Collaborator’ who will have all permissions as that of a requester along with a few additional privileges of an agent, one of which is to be a project member. This feature is in the final stages of development and will be shipped soon. 

@Sukh - Project tasks are already tied to the FS Calendar. However incorporating projects in the calendar is currently not available - I will keep you posted on this feature. Regarding the association of releases and projects, could you share your use case to help me understand the ask better? 

Freshservice Product Management

3 people like this

@Deeika - I spoke to the team about this and we came up with two main reasons.

1 - When you set up a project and know what tasks will be part of the project but don't yet know the due dates. Maybe you need to define all the tasks before you can even work out what the due dates will be on each. Otherwise you'd have to make all tasks on paper and work out the dates, then do data entry into fresh service.

2 - Sometimes you will make a project and work off priorities instead of dates. For example if you have a lot of projects and variability and the dates would constantly change, instead you'd rather define scope and priority and then work through all projects on a priority order.

3 people like this

Hi Todd,

Thanks for explaining, I can understand why due dates might have to be optional in your case. I will keep you posted on this. 

Freshservice Product Management

We would like to see the ability to limit visibility of individual projects to certain agents or requesters involved with the project. Currently the Roles control option only seem to allow one to view every existing projects, which may not be relevant or even should not have access to.

Thank you,

Ats Kagawa 

Great to see some new features introduced into FreshService. Keep up the work!

In my experience tasks are usually listed before they are scheduled, so yes, drop the forced scheduling, its limiting.

Make time optional. Most project tasks is date based, not time based.

Dont limit the scheduling to preset project start/stop dates. Projects are alive, and are constantly evolving and changing.

Give us edit fields, not dropdowns for time and dates, dropdowns in these cases are a huge productivity drain. 

Also, give us an option to delete, or at least abandon projects. 

2 people like this

Hi, great work on the projects module. It looks fanatastic and easy to use! One of the most important features in projectmanagement is supplying a report on the workload of the projects department. Before I can start using this feature I need to be able to create instant reports on status of the projects. When will this be implemented??

thanks, Remon

3 people like this

Absolutely great you've put this tool in with Fresh Service.  What feature that would be nice that we use elsewhere is to automate tasks based on a scenario.  For example, if a company is spinning up new sites in bulk they're all separate projects but they each would need the same tasks.  Would be great if we could create those minimum tasks required as part of the scenerio and then automate the scenerio to add those to the project.

So I love this tool but obviously very early release.  Can someone answer these questions?

1. When can we expect to see more flexibility in the project views?
     - Project view filters
     - Different UI views of projects (Summary list instead of big project blocks, expand/contract grouping based on project owner
  2. When can we expect to see field templates for Projects so we can additional fields like project category, additional project states, executive sponsor, business owner, etc..
  3. When can we expect to see a reports module for this area?

1 person likes this

@Deepika any plans to allow agents to input their time worked on a project similar to how time is input into a ticket? Preferably into the project tasks.

Would also be nice to have project tasks separated from ticket tasks on the main Dashboard.

The project management is a nice feature.

However since i work alot on projects where can i put my time that i work on the tasks ? 

I think this is a must have so you can see at the end how many time a project has taken.

3 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment