Start a new topic

Solutions templates

Is there any way to establish a template, either through fields or just starter language, to ensure consistent formatting and content for authored Solutions?

37 people like this idea

Ditto, templates for solutions is a must have.  Please update us as to the development status.

Please implement templates! We've been waiting for so long...

The ability to start a solution article based on a predefined template would be wonderful. It would make it much easier to get my department to actually create articles, rather than me having to frequently remind them to do so.

indeed this would be very nice to have

When writing Knowledge Base articles, we want to follow the KCS-style of delivering solutions. Since we can't create custom fields in Solutions, being able to use a template as a starting point would be a great workaround. It would help us ensure the needed information is included in an article and follow any specific stylings that should be used.

Any update on this?  I can take any news, good, bad, ugly anything.

Thanks!

Due to the fact that this has been open for 4 years and has had ZERO traction, I took it upon myself to make something that would work for us so I thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else!

We wanted consistency across all of our articles, but struggled with the awful WSYWIG editor when it came to picking a font family, a size, and well, things just kept getting all mixed up and it was nearly impossible to fix it without having to remove all formatting and start from scratch. I don't know if the editor is still as bad, as we have moved away from any custom formatting aside from the basics (headings, paragraphs, bold, italic, underline, bullets and numbers). All our custom styles are now built into the article view page on the customer portal via custom CSS. Check it out...

In your portal, navigate to Admin > Helpdesk Rebranding > Customize portal > Stylesheet and add in some custom styles. These are the ones I have for our articles (feel free to use what I have or create your own!):

/* Article Body Fonts */
.articlebody {
  font-family: "Verdana", Times, serif;
  font-size: 16px;
  color: #000; }

.articlebody h1 {
  font-size: 18px;
  color: #0099e6;
  font-weight: bold;
  text-transform: uppercase; }

.articlebody h2 {
  color: #0099e6;
  font-weight: normal;
  text-transform: uppercase;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #0099e6;
  margin: 5px 0px 10px; }

.articlebody h3 {
  color: #0077b3;
  font-weight: bold; }

.articlebody h4 {
  color: #0077b3;
  font-weight: bold;
  text-decoration: underline; }

.articlebody p {
  color: #000; }

.articlebody ul, .articlebody ol {
  display: block;
  width: 100%; }

.articlebody ul li, .articlebody ol li {
  margin: 15px 50px;
  list-style-position: outside; }

.articlebody div, .articlebody p {
  margin: 10px 0; }

And here is what it ends up looking like (keep in mind that the CSS I provided is for the text, not the page background/layout)...

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

1 person likes this

Dear Jess,

this looks indeed already a lot better then the default.

Unfortunately I don't see the stylesheet in our customized portal.

This would be awesome to have. Thinking of using the Solutions for internal system documentation, too.

Login or Signup to post a comment
JS Bin