Start a new topic

Text Editor Issues

When I am creating Solution Articles, most of the time the text editor is nearly impossible to work with. The font will be fine for half or most of the article, and then the rest of it is completely different, even if I go in and edit the HTML directly. I have tried highlighting the entire article and making changes as well as highlighting individual paragraphs. Sometimes if there is bold and or italics in the paragraph, the formatting will stay fine right up to that, then forget it. We use the "Heading 2" and "Paragraph" for all of our articles with Verdana font, medium-sized, and black in color. Most of the time we also include images as they are mostly KB articles for employees. 

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to get a better quality text editor? Other than this issue, we love the product, it's just so frustrating as I am the one migrating almost all of our articles from our old system to Freshservice.

Thanks!

Jess

15 people have this problem

I second that. I was just working with a pretty large solution covering an entire new system our development team has created. I am going through and trying to format the entire thing for our users, and it is giving me one heck of a time. 

Just as a quick example of what I am seeing is - I had a bulleted list that was appearing completely squished together, so in an effort to separate the bullets a little, I formatted each point's text as paragraph. Every time I clicked to format it, it created a new bullet point below. Also, there are random lines here and there that are grey text instead of black, even though I formatted the entire document with black text. 

All in all, it is really still pretty messy. It is not cooperative or consistent, and it causes more work in most cases than it ever should be. There are many more text editors out there that offer more functionality and are not as messy as this Redactor WYSIWYG one is getting us. 

Still hopeful, 

Jess

1 person likes this

Hello - 

The text editor issue is still extremely irritating and we are constantly creating new articles. This has been open for quite some time now, and I have at least one ticket open with Freshservice that has been open for months and months now. 

Quite honestly, it is a waste of our time to have to mess around with the html when trying to fix the ridiculous bugs in the editor OR to have to copy, delete, and paste the plain text back into the editor and start from scratch. Sometimes this is necessary as the text editor adds so many unnecessary tags around the text that the formatting for the entire article becomes messy. 

Please provide us with an update on the status of this as soon as possible. 

PS. The default font color should not be grey.

After NUMEROUS comments in this particular post, I feel strongly that Freshservice is no longer concerned with this issue. I have a ticket open with this as well, and despite my efforts to get a response, no one seems to be reacting. 

Our company is really trying to work towards building up our Knowledge Base; I, myself, create at least one article a day now, and this formatting thing is really getting irritating. 

In the screenshot below, I selected the entire article and chose Verdana, Medium, and black font color. If someone could explain to be why the font coloring for the numbered list is not all black, that would be fantastic because I cannot think of a good reason for that to happen. 

Lastly, maybe it is just me, but the fact that the numbered list (happens with bullets as well) text is so smooshed together is absurd. 

Remaining hopeful that this text editor will become not-so-stressful some day...

Thanks, 

Jess

I also have problems with random formatting happening, usually it switches to multi-line spacing halfway down a Solution or even a Reply in a ticket, for no apparent reason.

I have found that clearing all formatting once I have finished typing and then applying the formatting seems to work, however this is only OK if doing a new solution rather that updating an existing one where I don't want to have to re-do all the formatting.

Hello,

We are really sorry for the delayed response.

We are working towards a fix for the issues with Text editor and it is currently in development and should be available by Q1 2017.

Just so everyone is aware (maybe someone might be interested in doing this themselves) - I redesigned our customer portal, and in the process, I modified the styling for the Solution Articles. Now, we no longer have to select a font size, font color, or font family; it just does it on its own! The only thing we do for formatting is heading styles, bold/italics, and font color only if a section should be a different color! Works great so far... 

I'd be happy to share my code if anyone is fed up like me!

1 person likes this

@Jess: I'd like to see what you did. Thanks.

Sure! I created a class on the page called "articlebody" so that I didn't have to inherit the font stylings from the rest of the page... 

/*ARTICLE BODY FONTS*/
.articlebody {
  font-family: "Verdana", Times, serif;
  font-size: 16px;
  color: #000; 
}

.articlebody h1{
  font-size: 18px;
  color: #0099e6;
  font-weight: bold;
  text-transform: uppercase;
}

.articlebody h2{
   font-weight: normal;
   border-bottom: 1px solid #0099e6;
   margin: 5px 0px 10px;
}

.articlebody h3{
   color: #0077b3;
}

.articlebody h4{
   text-decoration: underline;
}

.articlebody p{
   color: #000;
}

.articlebody ul {
  list-style-type: square;
  list-style-position: inside;
  margin: 0;
  float: left;
  padding: 0 0 0 22px;
}

.articlebody ul li{
  list-style-type: square;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0 0 0 22px;
}

.articlebody ol {
   list-style-type: decimal;
}
/*END FONTS*/

Let me know if you have any questions! Sometimes the bullet points display inline, but a) not always and b) I haven't had a chance to really take a good look at it!

Any word on this text editor fix? I still have problems with it.

1 person likes this

This has been by far one of the most frustrating aspects of using Freshservice for Solution/Knowledge management.

Something as simple as adding an unordered list to a Solution article has often resulted in half a day's worth of work:

• Reformatting the article
  • Making sure it's aligned with our other articles
  • Hopefully not messing anything else up along the way.

It seems this issue is ripe for being fixed immediately based on the amount of users experiencing the same issue, the duration for which this issue has been open, however, experience tells me this will 'be passed along to the team'.

-another frustrated Solutions manager

Here is an updated look at the css we are using on our portal. Basically, what this is doing, is making it so that the only thing we need to format are the headings and the bulleted/numbered lists. The color, the font, the sizes, and the spacing is all handled through our stylesheet. 

Make sure you wrap the content of the article in a class="articlebody" wrapper like this...

<div class="articlebody">
    <article>
        {{ article.body }}
    </article>
</div>

And, here is the css..

/* Article Body Fonts */
.articlebody {
  color: #000; }

.articlebody h1 {
  font-size: 18px;
  text-transform: uppercase; }

.articlebody h2 {
  font-weight: normal;
  border-bottom: 1px solid #0099e6;
  margin: 5px 0px 10px; }

.articlebody h3 {
  font-weight: bold; }

.articlebody h4 {
  text-decoration: underline; }

.articlebody p {
  color: #000; }

.articlebody ul, .articlebody ol {
  display: block;
  width: 100%; }

.articlebody ul li, .articlebody ol li {
  margin: 15px 50px;
  list-style-position: outside; }

.articlebody div, .articlebody p {
  margin: 10px 0; }

If anyone has any questions on how to implement this or how to modify it to match the styling you want on your portal, feel free to ask! 

1 person likes this
Jess Rodier, you are a wonderful person, thank you for sharing.

Hi Jess,

Thank you so much for your suggestions and workarounds. They've really improved the experience and customization capabilities for our portal.

I did have a question regarding how you implemented this code...did you use the HTML you've provided, inside of the 'Layout & Pages' area? Do I need to edit / remove any <div> or classes? And just to be sure, you used the CSS code for the 'Stylesheet', correct?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Noah, 

Glad I can be of assistance!

My apologies, I should have been a little more specific when posting that code! Yes, the HTML provided will go under 'Layout & Pages' in the 'Article View' section. You don't need to change much at all. Actually, if you just skim carefully through the code that is already there, you should find an existing "{{ article.body }}" somewhere within. To make the HTML provided even a little simpler, all you really need to do to get this working, is wrap it in the 'articlebody' class. What I mean by that is...

<div class="articlebody"> {{ article.body }} </div>

With the above code in the 'Article View' section, just copy and paste the CSS provided into the 'Stylesheet' anywhere you'd like, and it should do the trick!

Hope this helps, but don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further questions! 

If you or anyone are interested, I built my own theme for the portal (with this code included) and posted it online. It is in the FreshThemes Gallery, but it can also be found on GitHub for free use - https://github.com/shecodestoo/FS-Modern-Squirrel. There are screenshots there so you can see what the theme looks like before you install it. I would definitely recommend having a developer on hand if you do it, because it's very likely that there will be things you want to have tweaked to make it your own, as with any theme. 

Best of luck, 

Jess

2 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment